- 1/2 lb Saltfish (dried, salted codfish)
- 12 fresh ackees or 1 (drained) can of tinned ackees
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp of butter
- 1/2 a hot chilli pepper (ideally Scotch Bonnet)
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- Cover the saltfish in cold water. Let soak overnight (minimum 8 hours) changing the water several times (this removes most of the salt).
- Bring a pan of cold water to the boil and gently simmer the fish for 20 minutes (until the fish is tender).
- Chop the onion, sweet pepper, chilli pepper and tomato.
- Remove the fish from water and allow to cool.
- Remove all of bones and skin then flake the flesh of the fish.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and stir fry the onion, black pepper, sweet pepper, chilli and thyme for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and flaked fish and stir-fry for another 10 minutes.
- Add the Ackee and cook until hot throughout. Stir gently to avoid breaking-up the Ackee. Thats it! Serve it up and enjoy!
If you have any modifications to make this recipe more delicious then feel free to leave a comment.