Beef Patties are a childhood favorite of mine. This beef patty with a rich, buttery crust combined with the seasoned meat inside will melt in your mouth and tempt your tastebuds.
INGREDIENTS – Pastry:
- 1lb flour
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon of curry powder medium hot
- 1 Teaspoon on turmeric or 1 drop of annotto
INGREDIENTS – Meat:
- 1lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 4 scallion (or 1 more medium onion)
- 2 stalks fresh thyme or 2 tsps ground thyme
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (or 1 tbsp curry powder / chilli sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS – Pastry:
- Sieve flour.
- Stir in baking powder, curry powder, salt and turmeric.
- Work the butter and shortening in with fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Slowly drizzle in the water until the mixture has a dough-like consistency (it should only be slightly sticky)
- Roll the dough in to a ball.
- Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
COOKING INSTRUCTIONS – Meat Filling:
- Cut onion + scallion in to fine pieces.
- Fry gently – so they do not quite get time to brown.
- Add meat, thyme, garlic, peppers (finely chopped), salt, pepper, paprika, sugar and nutmeg.
- Fry until mixture is fairly dry, drain off excess fat if necessary.
- Add water and breadcrumbs, cook until the mixture has a thick, saucy texture.
Combining the pastry with the filling:
- Roll the pastry on a floured board until it is about 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Cut as many circles (about the size of a saucer) out of the dough as you can.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the filling on one side of each pastry circle.
- Moisten the edges of each patty with water and fold pastry over to make a crescent shape. Seal the edge of each patty by crimping with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 375 deg f, 200 C or gas mark 6. Place patties on aluminium foil and cook for 35 minutes (or until golden brown).
Serve patties either hot or cold (however you like em mon!). If you have any modifications to make this recipe more delicious then feel free to leave a comment.