INGREDIENTS – JERK MARINADE:
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 fresh Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
INGREDIENTS – CHICKEN
- 4 chicken breast halves with skin and bones (3 lb), halved crosswise
- 2 1/2 to 3 lb chicken thighs and drumsticks
- Make marinade by blending all marinade ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Marinate and grill chicken by dividing chicken pieces and marinade between 2 sealable plastic bags. Seal bags, pressing out excess air, then turn bags over several times to distribute marinade. Put bags of chicken in a shallow pan and marinate, chilled, turning once or twice. Let chicken stand at room temperature 1 hour before cooking.
Using a Charcoal Grill:
Open vents on bottom of grill and on lid. Light a large chimney of charcoal briquettes (about 100) and pour them evenly over 1 side of bottom rack (you will have a double or triple layer of charcoal).
When charcoal turns grayish white and you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds, sear chicken in batches on lightly oiled rack over coals until well browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per batch. Move chicken as seared to side of grill with no coals underneath, then cook, covered with lid, until cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes more.
Using a Gas Grill:
Preheat burners on high, then adjust heat to moderate. Cook chicken until well browned on all sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust heat to low and cook chicken, covered with lid, until cooked through, about 25 minutes more.
This Grilled Jerk Chicken recipe makes 8 servings. If you have any modifications to make this recipe more delicious then feel free to leave a comment.