- 2 chickens
- 1/4 cup oil or shortening
- 3 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3 tsp. tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Cut chicken into eighths, then cut each breast into 3, thighs into 2, wings into 3 (discard wing tips). Remove as much outer skin and excess fat as possible. Rinse chicken with cold water and drain. Add 1/4 cup lemon juice to 2 quarts cold water and soak chicken in this solution for 1/2 hour. Drain and rinse again in cold water, then drain thoroughly.
- Marinate chicken by sprinkling with spices, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is best).
- Saute chicken in oil over medium-high flame, turning as needed, until brown. Remove chicken from pan.
- Saute chopped onion in same pan with chicken drippings. Add curry powder, stirring quickly. Then add water, tomato paste, and salt and simmer on medium-low for approximately 10 minutes. Return chicken to pan with the curry sauce. Stir with a large spoon until all the chicken is covered with sauce. Simmer, covered, on medium heat for 20 minutes and on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Let stand, covered, for at least 1/2 hour. Reheat if necessary. Serve warm or hot.
If you have any modifications to make this recipe more delicious then feel free to leave a comment.