- 1 oxtail about 2-2.5 lb. Cut up
- 4 tblsp. cornflour
- 2 tblsp. cooking oil
- Salt and Black pepper
- 4 rashers (slices) Bacon (Sugar cured, rindless)
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 4 carrots pared and sliced
- 1 cup peeled chopped tomatoes
- 1 pint (16 fl. Oz) hot water
- 2 stalks green onions finely sliced
- 1 spring thyme
- 1 can butter beans (Lima beans)
- Trim away excess fat and place oxtail in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes to blanch.
- Drain well on absorbent paper and coat with cornflour.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet and brown oxtail on both sides removing when brown.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Dice bacon and fry for a few minutes.
- Return oxtail to pot with bacon, add carrots, onion, garlic, tomatoes and hot water.
- Cover and simmer gently for 3.5 to 4 hours or until oxtail is almost tender.
- At this stage add more liquid if necessary and season.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add the butter beans and allow to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serving for 4.
If you have any suggestions to make this recipe more delicious then feel free to leave a comment.